Last Tuesday was the change of powers in Washington D.C. It was very bittersweet in my opinion. I was thrilled to be home and able to watch most of everything that went on that day! School was out (to balance Monday holidays) so the boys and I were home all day long. Drew had also been diagnosed with RSV the day before so we really couldn't go anywhere.
I grew up the daughter of an American History major who gave lectures where ever we went including the National Air & Space Museum in D.C. when I was in 7th grade. Yes, my dad excited about being in the museum 5 times in one week started lecturing about the planes in one of the rooms. A mom & child started following him while my mom, brother, sister & I hung back laughing at him. They thought he was a tour guide and were very appreciative! He looked around at the end of the so-called tour disturbed he didn't see us but glad someone enjoyed it. We still laugh at him for this experience!!!
I am not excited about this president but I appreciate the historical value of electing a new president. I never thought about electing a black president. To me, a woman president would happen next. I still keep holding onto one of my girlfriends (C.C.) from Bossier City who wanted to be the first woman president. I don't even know where she is now. The traditions were exciting to watch as well as all of the politicians in one place being very cordial to one another. Michelle could have worn a more patriotic color and Laura was almost boring in her grey. What is up with coats without buttons? I loved the new cars, helicopter, coffee together with Obama's & Bush's, Aretha Franklin's performance. It was also nice to hear all of the history associated with the BIG day.
I am very nervous with this president what changes will happen. I could have told you 4 years ago the next president would have been a democrat. I think people were tired of republicans in the office. It was evident when the senate changed from republican to democrat. The first Friday he was in office the president signed a bunch of bills with the press, after the press left he signed an abortion bill allowing abortions. It saddened me to think the changes are already happening. Since my brother is a pilot in the Air Force, I hope no big changes are headed for the military. I know Guantanamo Bay is being shut down. I do think he will do good in reforming gas emissions from cars as long as I don't have to give up my SUV soon. But I think the next time I buy a vehicle it should be more green (Hybrid, FlexFuel, etc.).
My boys played very well that day allowing me to be glued to the TV. I would call my mom every once in a while to catch her up since she was at work & interested. I knew dad would have really been interested but was teaching although I know he would have preferred to been sitting in front of the TV. :)
11 years ago



4 comments:
YAY for another post. BTW, how cool was that Former Pres Bush and Laura made their first public appearance tonight....at the Baylor women's Basketball game!! Sic'em Bears!!
Yes, I heard about it but didn't see it!
I was there and it was wonderful. The crowd (mostly Waco and BU fans with a few OK) were very receptive. Standing ovations when they entered, when announced at the first time-out. They were really into the game cheering and watching the action. Fans came over for pictues during breaks but the game was the focus. Only thing better would have been to win. :-(
Ditto to all of your blog.
Post a Comment