Last Friday I registered John David for Kindergarten. It was very bittersweet. I had put off registering throughout the spring and summer until we knew where we would be living. I found out that there would be new student registration last week. Earlier in the week we had bought all of his school supplies. I hate putting that off until the last minute due to everyone else shopping, too. Thursday night my girlfriends reminded me I had to have his birth certificate. We have already received a bill with our address and I had a copied shot record.
The school was very bright and cheerful still displaying artwork from last spring. I was given a packet of papers with directions on how to fill each sheet out. There was a K readiness questionnaire, health form, and other forms. After about 20 minutes, I had completed everything. Several staff members passed me as I completed the forms. I wondered who they were. As I turned in my paperwork, I asked about an item mentioned on the supply list-GO Folder and location of the K hallway. The next question I asked was, "How do I pick up my child after school?" As I listened I started tearing up.
In less than 10 days I would be leaving him here all day long without me. I called David who was encouraging and then my mom who was also encouraging. I cried as I talked to both of them. Mom cried too. I know he is ready and he will be fine. It still doesn't make it any easier for me. He hasn't shared too much on how he is feeling. I don't think he understands what it means to go to school for 5 days in a row like daddy goes to work. He has always gone two days and doesn't have an older sibling to watch.
11 years ago



3 comments:
Oh he is so excited now! That should make it a little easier, right? I don't envy you but you have good friends to help you with this. :)
I cried just reading your post. I never want that day to come, sniff, sniff. I know he is going to do great, he will love the structure of school. You know I will cry with you if you need any extra tears. lots of love
I know that he will do much better than his mother. :-)
Very exciting time for all. Glad to see the post -- how about a picture of the school boy?
Post a Comment