Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of School-Kindergarten!!!

This morning was the first day of Kindergarten for John David. He has been very excited and asking about when he could go ever since he met Mrs. Brand on Thursday! She has been at OSE in K for 5 years. She is also an Aggie with maroon all around her desk-won't hold it against her. ;) Old Settlers Elementary are the Stars whose colors are red & silver.



We started the day off early with breakfast, a little TV, and then getting dressed. He tried to get me to change his outift since it wasn't "play clothes." (I may have totally mismatched him but I think it kind of went together.) He was ready to go. I am sad to say we didn't get a new backpack or lunch box this summer. It was in the plans but we have been so busy that it didn't work out. He didn' seem to mind it and David was thrilled I wasn't spending more money. John David didn't know why I had to take his picture outside of our own house but he was very cooperative. Drew couldn't be left out either. I am surprised Boulder didn't jump in, too. :)


I held my own. Two texts from my girlfriends this morning got my teary and Kelli L. tried to talk to me in the hall but I politely said I couldn't talk. The Lawrence's are our Bible Study teachers at church and the only other people we know at OSE. I got teary walking through the halls to his class. Teared up leaving him even though I know he is good hands & is completely ready for this new chapter in his life. I also teared up looking at the picture again just now.

He led the way carrying his backpack because he didn't want to wear it. He didn't mind walking into his room. David helped him find his seat & we put his backpack away. He didn't mind having his picture taken with Mrs. Brand and enjoyed playing with his playdough. Of course, not to compare he did take his playdough out of the container all by himself while others were needing assistance. One kid was already standing next to his chair and talking loudly across the room. I secretly was glad he wasn't at John David's table. (Horrible mom, I know.) I can already tell we will be hearing about M this year.



I have included lots of pictures. I also put one of his "new park". As we were walking in, David was asking him about it and Drew was talking about it. John David told dad he had already seen it and Drew couldn't play on it because it wasn't his school. Yes, it was quite funny.



Before we left the house, John David asked if we could have a popsicle after school. I said sure. When we left the school I told Drew we could go get a snow cone after John David's school. He wanted to go then and has asked repeatedly if we could go get a " 'nocone". His color choices keep changing from purple to purple & green to red & green. Who knows what he will get? John David doesn't know about the treat yet. I'm sure he will enjoy it!

I also forgot until this morning that I hadn't bought him any new tennis shoes. Oh well, I guess the second day of school he can wear new shoes.

I almost forgot to tell you about my morning. My sweet MGM friends & others came over!! I had told them about 4 months ago that this wouldn't be an easy morning for me. So they (especially Lisa) had a "Muffins & Mimosas" party at my house. Lisa sent out evites with a great poem. There were 9 ladies & 17 kiddos here!!! I told David there was lots of squealing. Several of the older kiddos were disappointed and didn't quite understand why John David wasn't at his own house. Knowing the ladies coming kept me busy cleaning the kitchen and mopping until they started to arrive. It was fun to show them our new home & share interesting stories about our previous owner which is another blog post. Julie, one of my teacher friends, also came. This was a big day for her since this is the first time in 14 years she wasn't returning to teaching. We are already planning next year's party since three of them will be sending their kiddos to K! I'm glad Jenny came by, too. She was encouraging since her oldest started 2nd grade today but she also had to run to her own party with others, too!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh she looks like a PERFECT Kindergarten teacher. And not just becaue she is an Aggie! :)

Aunt Kathryn said...

Anna, John David looked so happy. His teacher looks really sweet. Hope he had a great day!

Leah said...

I love the stories and pics! I'm proud of you for updating! But I must say, I am saddened by his teacher's choice of schooling. Baylor shirts for the rest of the week are needed! There better not be ANY corruption for my nephew. We only have one sayin in our family and it starts with sic'em!

Jenny said...

An Aggie???? Really??
Well, so glad he bounced right into school! Different to be on the other side, huh?
Love your new house. You have such precious friends to celebrate this milestone with you.

darlene said...

Anna, love the post.

Y'all have done a great job with John David and he will do well in school. It's another wonderful milestone in his life. There will be many more smiles and some tears to come. Glad you have great friends close by to help you cope.

Joel and Christy said...

He is soo adorable, and I love the story too. You know he is going to be a great student. I can not wait to hear about the rest of the week.