Friday, September 4, 2009

Life as I know it now

Life has certainly changed recently from moving into a new home, kindergartener, and many other things. It was an adjustment to go to work this week for teacher workdays and only have one child with me. Drew and I have kept busy surprisingly it hasn't always been going to the gym. It seems like I have been running lots of errands. We have had some repairmen out to the house and I always seem to schedule more than one on the same day. Yesterday was the electrician installing some new lights and the blind lady (Budget Blinds) came to give us an estimate. (She isn't really blind.) We have 2" metal blinds that are bent and some missing a turn rod. Our dream is to buy beautiful shutters on each of the windows. We didn't realize until yesterday there are 33 windows to be covered! Too much money for all at once!

Drew's naps have moved up earlier in the day to allow for a 2 hour nap. Naps are still so important in our home! John David has fallen asleep in the car a few times in the past two weeks as we were running errands after school. I tell you his attitude has changed, too! I can tell he is so tired and is short-tempered after going to school all day long.

Another big change has been John David buying his lunch. The first week of school he took his lunch everyday but buying intriguied him. Tuesday of this week was the first time he had the courage to do it. I had sent a check on Monday not knowing his plans. He doesn't want me to tell him the menu. He wants the teacher to tell him what is for lunch. He explained the standing up and sitting down in the mornings to tell the teacher about their lunch choices. He has loved buying his lunch everyday since Tuesday!!! When we ask what he ate, he usually chooses fruit and chocolate milk but I don't hear of any veggies. He doesn't want my sandwiches which were a hit in preschool! (His preschool teacher even requested his sandwiches.) The menu given to us includes 2 entrees and a third vegetarian entree which I've never seen in a school. It doesn't list the sides so I can't guide him in which choices to make at lunch.

Oh, to be losing control of knowing everything! I have usually had a good idea of what went on in preschool. I learned more about their days when I started working up there. Last year, I saw alot of what activities he did and who he played with at school. This year we know NO ONE in Kindergarten. I know it is a great opportunity to become more plugged in to our school and community. God does have some great plans for my little boy and us!

As we drove to school one day this week, he saw a kid at the crosswalk. "Mom, there's Danny. He is my best friend." Mind you he couldn't remember who he played with at school for the first 6 or so days. I tried remembering names I had seen of people at his table and others on the class list which wasn't over 5. I ask but he can never remember other names.

Today at lunch Drew and I went to Chick-Fil-A. It is the first time he and I had gone there without John David. We have a routine of ordering, eating, and then playing. I can tell you our order is always under $13 for our 2 kids meals & my sandwich. I order one 4 piece with fruit and a 6 piece with fries. For myself, I get a sandwich & drink. We all eat on the fruit before I even begin to pull out the fries with our meal. Today as I drove there, I realized I was only getting 1 kids meal and had to decide fruit or fries. We ended up with fries. I didn't have the heart to make him (& me) eat none of their yummy fries. :) My boys and I always finish our food there unlike my friends who order one kids meal for two kids and they still don't finish it. I can't imagine my boys not eating all of their fast food meals.

David took John David to school one day this week. I stayed home to finish getting Drew and I ready for Meet the Teacher at our own preschool. I explained to David how our routine works in dropping John David off. It really surprised David that John David hopped out of the car and walked into the building without any assistance. David stayed in the same spot until John David disappeared into the building almost getting in trouble by the Safety Patrol for not moving on quickly. It is a totally different actually dropping him off rather than listening to someone else do it. David also got to help pick up one afternoon during the first week.

Things are going well and we are all adjusting to our new way of life. Do I enjoy it? YES! God has given us many blessings and we are very thankful. I hope this post doesn't sound depressing. I wanted to fill you in on little things going on around here.

1 comment:

darlene said...

Anna, your boys are growing up and you are doing a great job. They are well adjusted and will do great! Keep having fun with every stage in life.