Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Drew Edwards



Today is Drew's second birthday! It is hard to believe that he is already growing into a little boy. When I went to bed last night, I laid there thinking about Saturday night two years ago crawling into bed exhausted after attending two different Christmas parties, a sibling class, welcoming my in-laws, and I think I even did a little cooking that day. Oh yea-David and I drove a Porsche Turbo home that night! (It was more convenient to switch cars for the night so a friend could get his daughter on the way home from the party. It was unplanned but fun!) Can you imagine a 38-week pregnant woman trying to get in and out of this car? That was me! I think I took my boots off and backed into the car and opened the door wide to get out.


David and I switched cars the next day and brought lunch home for everyone before David and his dad started installing the microwave. I started having contractions but thought it was all the banging! I don't remember feeling the contractions until I laid down after lunch and then they didn't go away. I called my parents to talk to me so I wouldn't concentrate on them. Four hours after feeling them I was on my way to the hospital in immense pain! My mom-in-law had to put and tie my shoes on for me. By the time we got to the hospital at 5:30, I was 8 cm dilated! OMG! I kept asking for the anesthesiologist who never seemed to come. They kept calling my doctor on his cell phone to hurry up! (The Cowboy game was on.) The nurses were asking me those stupid questions-"when was your last cycle? When are you due? Do you smoke?"... I couldn't answer I was in so much pain & pushing. I never realized how much pushing is a natural thing at that state of pregnancy! Drew was born by c-section at 6:20 pm! That anesthesiologist finally got there! After the delivery I signed all of the paperwork required before surgery! Oh well! It was about 2 hours later before my parents arrived. (I don't think their normal 3 hour & 15 minute trip was as long that night!) Drew Edwards Weston was announced after the family was all there!


My sweet cousin, Jenny, was there to document everything for the family since it was all happening very quickly! Thanks for all your pictures & support! I know you left some kind of fun girls' activity to rush to the hospital that night and sent photos to the family.



Drew is a name we liked for several years and Edwards is a family name. We had agreed a long time ago that our second child would be after my family since John David was named after David's family. Edwards was my grandfather's middle name and his mother's maiden name. My brother also shares Edwards as a family name. I was very close to my grandfather who passed away when I was 12 weeks pregnant with Drew. It seemed fitting to remember him in this way.



I know this is a little long but I couldn't help myself. Drew is a precious little boy that I am extremely thankful God gave him to us. God didn't give me what I wanted but He knew what I needed! Drew loves Elmo, tools, playing hard, and imitating whatever John David does. It is funny to watch him and he constantly is getting bruises, hence his nickname "Bruiser."

4 comments:

Leah said...

Drew has always had a mind of his own and wanted to do things his way. He's so cute and independent! Happy Birthday Drew!

Leslie said...

Happy birthday, Drew!!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Boy!

darlene said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Drew. I did notice it was his birthday on my calendar and remembered the excitement of that day (even planned C-sections can have plans changing).