Monday, September 29, 2008

Where are you from?

Such a little question that has a lot of meaning. I dreaded this question when I was at Baylor because people thought I was from New Jersey. I only lived in Jersey from December through August of my senior year. Being an "air force brat" has always given that question an interesting answer.

A few weeks ago I went to a game night where people asked me where I was from. Some of us had been at Baylor together but we didn't know each other then. It was interesting to visit with the ladies and learn about them. Many of them had grown up together, gone to school together and now live in their hometown.

I was jealous of others who had the same address all of their life or at least 10 years. The longest place I have ever lived is in Tyler. We lived on Darrell Lane for about 10 years during the 80s (preschool, elementary, and a year of middle school). I was born in Abilene, Texas; lived in Norman, Oklahoma; Tyler, Texas; Bossier City, Louisiana; and Medford, New Jersey. After my sophomore year at Baylor, my parents were located to Edmond, Oklahoma. They are still there (11 years)!

I am very proud of my parents. My dad served our country for most of my life and my mom always made sure we had a secure and loving home. Since I have lived so many places, I feel that my experiences made me who I am today. I have met people from around the country, seen different traditions, and enjoyed different kinds of food. At our wedding 9 years ago, it was very neat to have friends joins us from almost every place we lived.

I don't dread that question anymore - I enjoy sharing who I am. God has blessed me and my family with friends that we have never forgotten from those places! Thank you God.

3 comments:

darlene said...

Happy Birthday, Anna.

There was an article in the USAA magazine last month about answering the question about "where are you from?". I think you should answer "Texas but I spent time in lots of places thanks to Uncle Sam".

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday!

The Norvells said...

wow...you're dad is a brave man. I tell dave all the time that I am glad he doesn't feel called to serve his country, because I just could not handle it. I have tons of respect for military men,but lots of respect for military wives too.