
John David has never enjoyed the dentist and today things did not help. Before we even went into the building, we all three said a prayer in the truck. I knew we would need it. Drew went with us today and was his usual active self. We waited in the waiting room (playing) before we went back. The assistant was very calm and patient with all of us. John David wouldn't sit in the chair (even though there are TVs on the ceiling). He kept standing next to me while I held Drew who was squirming constantly. The assistant would show John David and then Drew all of the different tools she would use. Drew was fascinated and John David didn't want to have anything to do with it. She ended up holding him between her legs while trying to clean his teeth. I was holding his hands away from his mouth while Drew was still in my lap. She attempted to brush his teeth & then polish them. Thank goodness we didn't do x-rays! The dentist quickly came over to look at his teeth. The bottom right tooth hadn't gotten any better in the last year so he suggested a crown. I was afraid of this. I asked about pulling it instead. The dentist said this was the best fix or else the tooth that grows behind it would crowd out the permanent tooth that would grow in when he was about 12 years old. I decided we might as well do it today since we were there.
We left with a diazapan prescription for 1 pill. We waited the 45 minutes before returning to the dentist's office. Luckily I found a Veggie Tales movie in the truck that we watched. I tried to pick up trash in the truck. I also started calling any and everyone I knew somewhat close who I could get to watch Drew but with no luck. I was also talking to my mom & David. Mom was very comforting & reassuring. With new assurance and more talking to God, I knew we could all get through this. When I talked to David a second time, he said he had received a call from his mom. Gloria had a feeling that something wasn't right, so she called David to see if he was OK. David filled her in on John David's morning. WOW, God was with us today!
After we returned to the office, my dear friend Lisa called volunteering to come get Drew. Thank you, Lord! John David asked about all of the kids who came out with rolls of gauze in their mouth. A little while later it was John David's turn to go back. He didn't want to go & I wasn't allowed to go. After a little chasing around chairs, the nurse carried a kicking and crying little boy back. I was, of course, crying, too. After another prayer & talking to David, I read my book. About 30 minutes later, I asked a nurse to check on him & she remembered he had gone kicking. She reassured me he was done & asking for me. He had done fine & I had to get directions for the rest of the day. Pain relievers and soft foods. Call with any concerns. They opened the door so I could get him and I started crying. He looked sad and a little traumatized with his rolled gauze in his mouth.
We stopped by Sonic on the way to get Drew. Nothing is better than a blue slushy, mac'n cheese bites & grilled cheese from Sonic. Of course, I had my Dt. Dr. Pepper with vanilla, too. Both boys did fall asleep in the car for a few minutes.
We have now been home for an hour and Motrin was given a while ago. He is eating & watching Peter Pan. Nap time is now, too. I am sure he'll take a good one.
Tomorrow he and Papa can compare their silver teeth.



5 comments:
Poor Anna and poor John David. Who wants to get a crown at his age? Going to Grandpa's couldnt have come at a better time. Sonic comforts me, too. Hang in there!
I'm glad things worked out! It's not funny, but I couldn't help but laugh. I can picture myself and the girls in that situation...the tears, the chasing, the restlessness, more tears, and then, of course, SONIC! I hope the rest of your day was a little more peaceful. Hopefully they took long naps:)
I wish I owned stock in Sonic because we all use that as a reward or just to get thru the day.
So glad to hear you all survived. God is good --- even when we are in the midst of things and can't see it very well.
Now enjoy your time while the boys are in OK. because they will be having fun. :-)
So sorry I missed your call! I was watching Diana's 2 girls while she chaperoned our kindergarten play day- (siblings not allowed, so I volunteered to stay back in the A/C) Needless to say, I missed your call while playing in the backyard.
Next time just drive up to my house and leave him on the doorstep!
I am glad that John David is doing well. Of course I am proud of you that you ended the day at Sonic....
Post a Comment